Challenge 1 Megathread

For any and all questions relating to challenge 1. :point_down:

For a tutorial on how to use Jupyter Notebook, we put together this video:

Still have questions? Read all the FAQs here.

4 Likes

the solution for this was backwards. “Modify the lease agreement with your signature without changing the original lease variable.” but then you just copy and paste the entire lease variable. 0/10 very wrong

105 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure why:

• new_lease = lease + signature
  • new_lease = f’{lease} {signature}’

wouldn’t be valid answers either. Both append the signature to the end and do not modify the lease variable.

The “correct” solution also ignores the lease variable all together.

127 Likes

That is what I am saying. We are adding more work for a less readable line of code. Didn’t make sense to me.

28 Likes

You have implicitly required that the newline at the end be removed, without any justification.

The “correct answer” is terrible, and there are two better, valid solutions on offer.

45 Likes

Agreed. It didn’t say that the signature needed to be on the same line.

new_lease = f’{lease} {signature}’ is the best answer because it DOES say in the question do not modify the original lease. Adding the signature variable to the lease is modifying the lease is it not?

48 Likes

Hi!
I am wondering, how can we find the challenge?

1 Like

@ScottyP @Numbers you guys are 100% correct. How can we make sure the admin sees our posts and credits us the lost points? I have shown this to senior programmers and they all agree with you two.

29 Likes

Tim is active on this forum. He’s probably sleeping. I’m sure they’ll see the comments in the morning.

2 Likes

Where is the challenge? Did you get it sent to you?

1 Like

Video solution: https://youtu.be/fAHv_2XAj14
“Truth be told, I got 0 points on this challenge…”

8 Likes

Login here https://data-challenge.lighthouselabs.ca/
Go to challenges and select the “under construction” image.

2 Likes

@admins Please review the answers for Day 1 challenge. The purpose of this module was to teach about variables and formatted strings, not copy and paste already declared properties and add minor modifications. Reusability is key in programming. Right?

This is important to us. Please credit points to our noobie team “Gudeteama”

22 Likes

I don’t see the failure or confusion. You have to think outside the box here, they don’t ask you to use the lease variable they tell you to modify the lease agreement without changing the original lease variable and the signature is meant to go next to the Sign Here

4 Likes

Just a note: By creating a new variable, new_lease, you are not changing the original lease variable.

8 Likes

Nowhere does it say that the signature is meant to go next to the Sign Here. It is just as valid a conclusion that the signature is to go below. Easy enough to specify that it should be on the same line in the problem details and that wasn’t done. Failing this question, not for not understanding python, but for not reading the mind of the problem writer, is unfair

18 Likes

I’ve assumed the purpose of the challenge was to learn about data science using python.

If the questions are unclear and not specific, expect people to be annoyed. IMHO you may want to make this challenge about learning python and data analysis, not about tricking people with ill-worded questions.

Reconsider because this reflects on the quality of the bootcamps you are trying to promote.

28 Likes

For me it is saying the IDE is currently down right now. Does anyone else see that?

1 Like