Challenge 1 Megathread

For any and all questions relating to Challenge 1 :point_down: post away!

5 Likes

Hi! If the values in the text don’t match the values assigned to the variables, which one do we use?

9 Likes

This is what I’m wondering. The values defined in the markdown portion don’t match with the values in the defined variable(s)

5 Likes

Just confirming the other user’s issues aren’t unique and I have different values in markdown and in variables.

2 Likes

Also, I’m assuming the higher the value, the better it is right? I triple checked my code but after sending in my answer it seems i got it wrong. I confirmed my calculations with a calculator and they check out, so maybe i’ll wait until everyone has a chance to post their thoughts here

4 Likes

I was under the impression that part of the challenge was making sure the values matched since that’s important in data analysis and it could affect your results :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

hah absolutely, and you’re right but just wondering whether the authors of this challenge define best value as having a higher number or the opposite.

I found 2 discrepancies but after trying to match the values the overall result didn’t make a huge difference.

1 Like

I was able to solve the question using the values assigned to the python variables.

3 Likes

Yes, but using the values in the markdown gives a different answer

1 Like

That tripped me up at first. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to explain how I interpreted it since the challenge is still ongoing. Hopefully, the moderators can get back to us about that and the discrepancies.

2 Likes

Hello @isagrau, kindly use the values assigned to the variables.

1 Like

Sometimes you will receive data in an order which does not fully match up to one another (e.g. If you have 2 lists of data, the first value of list 1 may correspond to the last value of list 2)

Try using the same values, but reordering the some of the lists such that you follow the proper flight path (e.g. line up all data of Vancouver to Montreal to London)

2 Likes

Remember that Value = Price Paid / Travel Time.
This translates to “Dollars Spent per Hour of Travel”.
Higher = paying more; lower = paying less.
Which would you rather do?

11 Likes

@AL11235 great explanation!

1 Like

lol it confused me a lot at the beginning! :sweat_smile:

@Krusiferry you finally figured it right?

1 Like

oh yes! I finally got it!

1 Like

yes, I finally got it!

2 Likes

This helped a lot, thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So those who used the markdown values and got a different answer get a 0? :frowning: